Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ghostbusters

On a whim, decided to hit the Thursday night class since I had the evening free. It looked like sparse attendance, but by the time class finally started, we had about 15 ppl. Russ was teaching passing the half guard into mount.

The techniques seemed to go well, and Russ did a progression from half guard pass into the brabo choke and other nasties. 

Rolled with Savannah, Keith, Mark, Russ and after class with Manny. Savannah is getting really, really good with passing. I was too busy trying to recall what we went over on Wednesday for the knee slice defense and ended up getting passed. She got a triangle at one point but neglected to cut an angle and I had too much of my shoulder. I eventually got out of that. She's pretty damned good.

Keith and I had a pretty even battle. He was passing my guard too, although I was able to fend him off a bit better. Very back and forth roll though.

Mark is a newish white belt high school kid who isn't quite a spaz but just doesn't know enough to mount much of an offense. I let him work some different positions, and couldn't help but laugh to myself as he made a kindof high pitched grunting noise (is that even possible?) while trying to choke me without being anywhere near my carotids. 

Russ kicked my ass. Sweep or pass...I don't remember which. In any case, he quickly moved into a dominant position and then proceeded to choke me out. It was a span of several minutes, and towards the end he was kindof grinding my face to set the choke. If it was anyone but Russ I would have considered it a d-bag move. As it was, I was frustrated that I get manhandled on the regular. He apologized a dozen afterwards for muscling the choke.

Manny and I had a pretty even roll after class. He passed my guard, but I was able to use the threat of a triangle from bottom side control to regain guard and eventually an omoplata. He rolled out of the omoplata and while I was able to keep his arm up after the roll to prevent him from turning into me, he had a sleeve grip on my other arm which kept me from moving into side-control. I had been trying to turn into his hips, but I switched and turned towards his head. I was almost set up for a mounted triangle, but he dumped me and I set up the triangle from guard. It was relatively close, but I couldn't finish. I noticed when I was in bottom side control that he had Ghostbuster drawers peeking out from his gi pants. It's hard to take that seriously.

Was feeling a little frustrated when I left, but ok. Class again tomorrow morning, back on the horse and all that.

No comments: