Wednesday, March 12, 2014

If It's Not One Thing, It's Another

Knee felt "kinda funny" off and on today, and I considered not going to class. But since I had convinced myself that it wasn't serious, I figured that I'd give class a try. So off I went, and turns out that my knee was fine. My back, OTOH, really hindered me during rolls tonight. I'm closing in on 40y/o, but really?

Big class, close to 20 ppl. James did rotations of 2min drills. Sweeps, passes, subs from KOB, subs from mount and take-downs. Worked with Rachael, and my back was ok until she hit her first takedown. She told me what she was going to do, but I somehow failed to prepare my body for it and when I hit the mat my back was pissed. Ever since then it was kinda not ok. Getting out of side-control was near impossible. Ugh. 

We did KOTH with the competitors staying down. I had a match with Savannah first which last a fair amount of time until she got mount. I just could not use my back to get leverage to escape. A roll with James that was fun and ended up in a weird spot until he choked me with a don't-remember-what. I think I had a roll with Rachael but don't remember anything about it. A roll with Matt and one with Julio. I hated being so ineffective.

After class we spent some time with James going over the flower sweep. The humor in the room also went straight into the gutter, which made it difficult to focus on technique b/c the banter was so off-color. It was not offensive in the least, but it also certainly wasn't for children or those with gentle constitutions. It was good fun, and really made me realize how much I appreciate having a group of people that I'm so at ease with in my life.

Nando flew to California for Pans today and the Portland competitors are traveling on Friday morning to NAGA. I'm teaching class on Saturday.

No comments: