Sunday, March 9, 2014

Advanced Class

I spent almost the entire class working on a 93 guard sweep where you get an underhook, bury your head into their opposite hip and underhook the leg. You can then either kneebar from there (if you have ANY concept of where their knee is, which I don't), sweep to either side or take the back if they are posting out during the sweep. I started with James, which was excellent b/c he gave me some tips on straightening the leg and finding the knee. Even if I can't find the kneecap, if I can straighten the leg the sweep is much more likely to occur. This seemed to work fairly well on everyone except for Jason (p), who wouldn't let me have the underhook with the arm nor get under his leg. The moral of the story is abandon it in time before they can fish for a cross-face or something worse.

Flow rolled with Manny, then regular rolls with Dennis, Nando and Jason (p). Nothing extraordinary during any of the rolls. I tried to work the dive-under DLR pass on Dennis but I couldn't get under his hips so he was able to turn into me. I think I eventually got to his back and/or top position. Nando controlled most of our roll and was definitely in tournament mode. Jason was pretty crushing, though I was able to fend off submissions longer than usual. 

Back is tight after class, but hindered me very little during.

No comments: