Saturday, March 22, 2014

Saturday

Decent sized class for Saturday. Apparently a good portion of the team was out in the midst of shenanigans last night (I was invited but declined), which may have had something to do with the sparse attendance of upper belts.

DLR sweeps, all of which I really enjoyed. The Baby Bolo (as James called it), a lapel sweep and a kimura sweep. Drilled with Clayton, which was awesome b/c he was focused and knew what he was doing. 

Rolled with Clayton, Sol, Nick, Opal. Clayton and I had a fairly competitive roll. He had the upper hand for the most part, but I was able to regain guard several times and he wasn't able to finish any submissions. I couldn't quite tell if he was letting me regain guard or not. I don't think so.

Sol crushed me good. Finished with a N/S choke at one point. He said later that I was doing well, but I feel like once he gets in top side-control the story pretty much writes itself each time. Doesn't matter if he's in cross-face or kesa gatame. 

Nick wanted to be filmed while we rolled to find holes in his game, so I obliged. I moved to top position several times, then let him work from a top side-control and an attempted transition to mount. He pressured much, much better today. I think part of it was due to the fact that he was being taped and felt like it was added pressure. Whatever the reason, it was a much better roll from him than usual.

Opal spent most of the round trying to pass my guard. She did a good job of not letting me work an open guard game. I tried several times to arm-drag and wasn't finding success there either. I didn't want to submit from guard, but was focused more on sweeping.

Looking forward to drilling tomorrow. Hopefully more than just Dennis and I show up. :p

No comments: