Tuesday, March 11, 2014

No Pop, No Problem...Right?

It was my second no gi class in about three months. James is having Kelly teach the no gi classes, so we were treated to numerous rolling back attacks. Everything was going swimmingly until Kelly adjusted how Rachael was rolling. As she completed the roll, it felt like my knee was hyper-extending. But not like a knee-bar hyper-extension. I'm not sure how to describe it, other than I had a brief "oh shit" moment. The bottom center of my kneecap started feeling funny, and I sat out a roll b/c every so often when I walked around it felt weak and weird. I had full range of movement, no swelling and otherwise it seemed fine. Just odd twinges. I'm going to ice it tonight and hope that Rachael was kidding about the ACL being located there. I don't think there was a pop and am going to hope for the best.

Like a complete idiot I decided to roll after sitting out a round. I rolled with Rachael three or four times, then with Mike after class, and again with Rachael. The rolls after class were fairly long, probably 15-20min each. Mike is a visiting purple and is the one that helped me teach leg drags a couple of Saturdays ago b/c I was doing it wrong. It's the first chance I've had to roll with him, and I'm a little bummed that it was no gi b/c I'm still pretty clueless without grips. I don't flail around, but how to utilize my open guard game is pretty much a mystery. Aside from that though, I'm pretty happy with how I rolled tonight. I went over the NAGA gi and no gi point system with Rachael, and called out points as we rolled. She got me with several submissions, including foot locks and a guillotine. I got a kimura and that was pretty much it. My knee didn't bother me at all, although I did feel the twinge again during one of the foot locks.

No comments: