Monday, March 17, 2014

Saturday & Sunday

I was slated to teach Saturday while the team was at NAGA, but Kelly showed up so he taught. Low turnout (no surprise). All fairly new white belts, Kelly, Keith and I. Kelly went over some leg lasso techniques, one of which I liked quite a bit and am going to try this week.

Rolled with Joyce, Jacob, Nick and Kelly. Nick was driving me crazy b/c he is soooo passive. He wouldn't try to get to a top position at all, even though I was practically trying to pull him into top side-control. He was also keep death grips long past the point of them being useful. He's very new and I shouldn't be too surprised, but I can't think of anyone who has come in with such a passive approach who has stuck around.

Dennis was the only other person to show up for the Sunday class. I've said it a hundred times, but I still can't get over how many people bail on classes when James isn't there. Dennis and I drilled for close to an hour. We started with transitioning between DLR -> RDLR and back again with the other person standing and giving about 60% effort trying to pass. The sickle sweep from RDLR finally started to make some sense to me yesterday as a result. After that we worked leg lasso and I finished with a round on looking at submissions from top side control. One of them that I'm going to try this week is a rolling kimura. We spent the last 10min or so rolling. I did pretty well, taking his back several times and almost finishing that damned inverted triangle from bottom side.

No comments: