Monday, March 10, 2014

Night Moves

First time I've done an evening class in awhile. I had more energy at work than normal b/c I wasn't tuckered out from the morning class, and tons of energy for the night class. Good thing, b/c I wanted to bring my A game for our competitors.

James announced that we were going to be training wrist locks, which resulted in groans from around the room. Even when you are really, really careful, wrist locks are dicey. Especially the ones where you're using your torso to apply the pressure. Wrist lock from standing, wrist lock from a standing arm-out guillotine, wrist lock from top side control if they are in the prayer position, and wrist lock from top side if they try to get an underhook on far side. 

For rolling it was KOTH (mount or sub wins), with competitors staying on the mat win or lose. I envied them a bit, especially since we had five or six people on the wall at all times. It was close to a five minute wait for another match for people on the wall. I started with Rachael, and we went at it for awhile before I finally got to mount. After that it was Nando, who was close on a choke but eventually made it to mount. He's been ezekieling the crap out of me lately. I need to figure out why that's happening. Part of it is due to the fact that he's getting to top positions and I have no frame. After that it was another short roll with Rachael before time was called.

As we were closing out class, I asked Savannah if she wanted to roll. But then Sarah came over and wanted to roll, and Savannah was busy, so Sarah and I had a 5-8min roll. I think I eventually got her with a bow and arrow. Rachael was hovering nearby, and as soon as Sarah and I were done she jumped in. Savannah was working with James, so I figured another 5-10min with Rachael and then I'd catch Savannah. Not so much. Rachael and I rolled for at least 20min. I was in a dominate position for the most part, taking her back repeatedly but not able to finish a submission. After awhile she escaped to turtle, then was in my guard, and then passed. She worked top side-control for awhile, and came very close on her americana attempts but didn't quite have the necessary leverage. James gave me a helpful tip for escape as he walked by which enabled me to pop out. 

By that time Savannah had left, so I'll have to catch her tomorrow. I felt strong and good tonight. My back didn't bother me at all while rolling. I'm icing it now, but I think the worst of it is happily behind me (no pun intended). I wish I was competing this weekend. :(

No comments: