Saturday, August 31, 2013

Seminar

8/29 - Evening Downtown

Decided to do a second class since a visiting black belt was in town. Good choice, as he taught and went over some RDLR that he expanded upon the next day. Don't remember much except for the technique details.

8/30 - Downtown

More RDLR and got a five minute roll with Chris (the black belt). He showed me a couple of easy, clear techniques to try. One was to use a lapel drag when someone is in my guard, the other was a defense for the deep half. Other rolls with the regular guys, nothing especially memorable. It's been a blur of BJJ.

8/31 - Downtown - Seminar

Two and half hour seminar with Chris. Started with a couple of take-downs (just shoot me already), then passing from the take-down position. Then it was all side-control. Taking the back, submissions....I MUST write up notes tonight or else the majority of it is going to be lost. I love the knowledge that is dropped during seminars, but it is such a high volume that I have to write the details within hours or else it's lost. I take notes during, but the amount that I'm able to write during the class is minimal.

At the end, he did the gauntlet of everyone that was left (some people had to leave mid-way through). I'd say at least ten guys, including James. He started with the white belts, and moved up the line. Two minutes with everyone, no breaks in between. I have mad respect for him doing that. Some guys are so freaked out about their belts that they would never put themselves in a position to possibly get tapped by a lower belt. Chris didn't care and put himself on the line. Impressed.

No comments: