Thursday, August 29, 2013

Deep Half on Noobs

8/28 - Valley

Half guard sweeps. Drive the bus, trap the foot and trap the leg. Relatively easy techniques and we repped them over and over again. I like having days where were just rep the hell out of something. Get it deeply ingrained in your muscle memory. Or so goes the theory.

It was a relatively big class, as all of the karate instructors were there. I rolled with Holly and two other women. Rolls were probably 3-4min each. All them were wearing karate gis, so I was mindful of not gripping the lapels and sleeves like I would a BJJ gi. No need to wreck their gis. The roll with Holly was fun, as I was able to work mainly on positioning. The other two women (girls, really...probably not quite college age) had very little BJJ experience, so again I worked positioning and helped them with some basics. I decided that I wanted to practice deep half guard on one of them, and she was clearly startled when I went from a shin guard to under her leg and then up and over into side-control. The shin guard entry is really, really easy for me to remember, so I should keep going for it.

I was a little bummed that I didn't get to roll with someone more experienced, but the upshot is that I got to execute something to completion that I probably won't against more experienced grapplers.

I might go to the evening class downtown if I can swing it with my schedule.

The pie has been calling to me all day...


No comments: