Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Timing is Everything

8/6 - Valley

On 8/4 and 8/5 I did a lot of activity and but didn't drink much water. This turned out poorly for me yesterday after class. I wasn't in terrible shape, but I wasn't good for anything other than shuffling around the house and trying to replace all of the water that I had apparently excreted in the form of sweat. I'm usually very good about hydration, but with the unexpected rolling session on Sunday it really threw me out of whack. I've started lifting in the morning as well, so that probably didn't help.

Anyway, it was just Gary and I today. We focused on N/S escapes and sweeps. Both of which were very helpful. We also went over escapes from kesa gatame, which I seem to forget on a regular basis. The sweeps were very simple, and for some reason the importance of timing finally sunk in today. I don't recall the name of the sweep (variation of flower?), but it is so ridiculously easy when you chop the outside of their leg as their momentum is coming forward. I think it's an example of where I'm being robotic with my movements. Thinking through the technique as I'm doing it... Step #1, break their posture. Ok that's done. Step #2, drop the leg and establish a grip... By the time I think through step two, they've re-established their base.

None of this is rocket science, but I'm hoping I can keep it in mind so that I'll at least be a little more effective with this particular sweep.

I'm a month out from the Oregon Open, which seems a bit surreal since I was firmly decided on not competing for the rest of this year. I'm feeling some pressure b/c in a small way I'm being sponsored for this tournament. That's a new thing, will see how that messes with the nerves.

No comments: