Monday, August 5, 2013

Eight Consecutive

Currently on 8 consecutive days of class. If I don't miss any classes this week I'll hit 14.

Also, James strongly recommended that I sign up for the Oregon Open next month. So there's that.

8/4 - Downtown

This was an unexpected Sunday open mat. James was able to round up a few people for some rolling on a Sunday evening. Started off with just three of us, so two rolls on, one off. A couple of other guys showed up after a half hour, so it was four on, one off. I went for an hour and a half and had a blast. Got a lot of rolls with James, and was cursing a blue streak when he'd catch me in that damned no handed knee bar, or wrist lock, or whatever other shenanigans he had going on. It was really fun though, my swearing was a compliment to him and he took it as such.

8/5 - Downtown

Gi drags on a kneeling or standing opponent and the loop choke. The gi drags felt very awkward to me. I've done them before, but I don't think they ever felt quite right. Once I started to time it better I was getting some power into it, but it still felt weird. Was happy to go over the loop choke b/c that's something that I've been trying to set up during rolls but forgot how to finish it.

Rolls with Blaine, Julio, Joe, Dennis, Jason and a second roll with Julio after class. Julio crushed my guard as he is wont to do. I can control him to some extent in my closed guard but he demolishes my open guard. I tried the Moura guard on almost everyone, included him and as soon as I tried to set it up he was getting a grip on my leg and preventing me from inverted. I got Joe a couple of times, but the rest of the guys were really controlling my movements. I was tired from the rolls last night, lifting this morning and then class. Haven't been drinking enough water to support all of that activity, and was feeling completely wiped out by the last roll. Fortunately, Jason asked if we could go light and I happily agreed.

No comments: