Saturday, August 3, 2013

Smaller is Better

8/3 - Downtown

Tiny class today as there was a local tournament. If James is gone on a Saturday, you can count on the class being minuscule. It was great though, as it was myself, an upper blue belt and two purple belts. Bazinga!

We worked some spider guard sweeps and subs, and then had three rounds of 9min rolls. I don't mind the longer rounds at all, especially if I'm not being crushed the entire time. If it was 9min of being kimura'd while someone is sitting on my face I'd take a different view. I worked the Moura guard a couple of times, mainly transitioning into it and holding it briefly before they started trying to pass. My goal is to get into it and then control as long as I can so that I can get a feel for how I need to react.

I had one shining moment when I got to mount on Sam b/c I knew when he had my in an awkward top side control that he was going to do an acrobatic launching of self across my bad. I turned into and somehow kept my momentum going enough to get into mount. I had a beautiful arm-wrap from guard on Keith but he had a grip on my leg that I couldn't break so it was for naught. Also went for a baseball bat choke on him that was fairly close but he defended well.

Overall it was a great day of training...sad for everyone else that decided not to come to class. :)

No comments: