Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Clocked

8/7 - Downtown

On day nine...

I got clocked on the head pretty good in class today. During rolls another pair got close to us and one of them planted his knee into my right temple. Had to roll over and take a minute to collect my thoughts, but no harm done. He was very apologetic, but it's inevitable that such things will happen if you spend enough time on the mat.

We did foot lock escapes, knee bar escapes and crucifix escapes today. The leg lock escapes were especially timely for me, as I find myself getting caught in those on the regular since I've been experimenting with an open guard game. It was a little difficult to drill b/c I was working with a newish white belt, so just getting set up in the techniques was a challenge. Reinforced how much I don't know about leg locks.

Aside from getting plunked on the head, I had good rolls today. I was hitting some sweet sweeps on Camille. Dennis and I spent some time in my guard, then I spent some time in his inverted triangle. I didn't see it coming and next thing I knew he slapped it on. He had it pretty close, then rolled over, lost a bit of leverage, played with the position a bit, then I finally got escaped. I couldn't see what he was doing with his torso, but I'm guessing he was arching his back instead crunching himself in. The submission was pretty close.

I had Keith in my guard for the majority of the roll, and tried like hell to get a sweep in the last couple of minutes but couldn't pull it out. I'm easing back into a competition mindset and am starting to care about points during rolls. I think it's going to make me better but it also takes a bit of the fun out of it.

Jason squashed past my guard on numerous occasions. I don't know why I'm prone to going basically limp when someone is trying to pass, they walk around to the side and drive my top leg to the mat. As soon as my top leg is killed, I pretty much give up the pass. It's weird. I need to stop doing that.

I weighed myself with gi and I'm currently 4lb over my intended weight class. Have a month to lose the weight so I'm not worried. If it's going to be close I'll probably switch weight classes. Really don't want to have to worry about weight.

No comments: