Friday, August 23, 2013

Put Their Knee in their Mouth

8/23 - Downtown

Stacking double-under guard passes. My legs weren't quite as bendy as they usually are, which was sad for me. I felt a little out of juice today, which is probably a combo of last night's lift and a cumulative effect from the week. I felt like I was doing fairly well on the drills. I like the posture methods that James showed us but I have to think through them as it's different from how I've been doing posture in guard the past ~4yrs.

Four rolls. Energy was pretty good during rolls, although there were a couple of times when I'd pause and catch my breath in bottom side or in my own guard.

First was Jason (b). We had one of our most competitive rolls, although I don't think he was going 100%. He seemed to focusing on control and not muscling, which could account for the difference in pressure. He immediately passed my guard, exactly like Damon did yesterday. I was consciously thinking of not fully extending my legs but either that wasn't the problem or they extended without my permission. He did that a couple of times, but I also had opportunities to work passes, side-control escapes, etc.

Roll with Antone, who was having stomach issues and made at least four visits to the bathroom during class. That might account for why I had such a good roll against him today. I didn't dominate by any stretch, but I was more competitive than usual. I did a better job than usual of stuffing his bolo attempts. He did get a kimura b/c my arm was trapped behind my back during one of his transitions to mount and he kept a hold of it during the resultant scramble to finish it off.

Keith and I had a good back and forth, although I was getting the better of it today. Took his back at least once, if not twice. I didn't get any subs but I was positionally dominant.

Last roll was with Kelly, who used a little less of wrestling voodoo today and played from guard. As soon as he gets a sleeve and leg grip I'm cooked. Bah. He passed my guard all day and got a couple of subs.

Overall, pretty pleased.

Going to an Italian place for dinner tonight and am going to savor every bite. :p

No comments: