Thursday, July 11, 2013

Points

7/11/13 - Downtown

I asked James what we were going to work on today. He didn't have a plan, and asked me what I wanted to learn. This is also a dicey proposition, b/c oftentimes no one else wants to drill what I want to drill, or the idea is so vague that James isn't sure what to do with it (although he usually wings it pretty well). I gave it some deep thought (as much deep thought as one can muster in the changing room) and decided on back mount escapes. I haven't gone over those in awhile at either school and thought it would be a good refresher.

He came through, and had a couple of techniques that I haven't seen before. He also had some really good tips on getting to deep half and keeping (or getting) their leg to extend.

The rolls were point rolls, with a penalty of calisthenics to whoever had 6pts or a submission scored against them. Rolled with Sarah first. I was getting a sub near the end, but there was a disagreement about whether it was just supposed to be points or subs and then time ran out.

Roll with a newish big guy (Russell?) that I just wimped out on and kept in my guard. Eventually got an omoplata.

Roll with Grant. Worked a long time on a guard pass and eventually was able to sneak into mount while he was defending the pass.

At the end of class, rolled with Jimmy b/c I couldn't take anymore of the point rolls. They serve a good purpose, but there's something about rolling for a specific number of points that I think makes me very cautious. It's weird, I'm so focused on not getting 6pts scored on me, I think it makes me stall out a bit. Anyway, not sure how long Jimmy and I rolled, but it was long enough for him to kimura at least a couple of times and try for several more. Those judo guys have redonkulious grips.

No comments: