Thursday, July 4, 2013

Helicopter Arm-Bar

7/4 - Valley

We did a fair number of techniques that I'm not especially excited about, including the helicopter arm-bar (which wasn't really that bad), the balloon/overhead sweep, and the standing hook (tripod) sweep. I normally don't mind the tripod sweep, but this variation has you pulling the hooking leg in whilst pushing up on the hip and pulling the ankle, which tends to get quite airborne.

I was glad that the guys wanted to get together and do some techniques today even though it was a holiday. We met a 9am and had a quick hour session. It took me awhile to get my partner's weight loaded up correctly for the helicopter sweep. They have about 50lb on me, so it's not like I could cheat on the technique. That is both a blessing and sometimes a frustrating curse. I was finally getting it though when I pushed them away from me first and then loaded them up as their momentum brought them into me. It's a slick looking move once you get it.

No rolls at the end as Gary needed to load up the smoker for 4th of July nom noms.

No comments: