Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A/C Is Pretty Boss

7/2 - Valley

Had a late afternoon class b/c the school is on an odd schedule due to 4th of July week. One thing is for sure...having fully functional air-conditioning is amazing. I don't have it at my house, which is probably what makes me especially appreciative of having it at the gym on 100F days.

We worked breaking the closed guard and moving into a foot lock, breaking closed guard and then toe hold, knee bar from side-control, and finally the star sweep and the tripod sweep. I was feeling a bit awkward with the foot locks and some of the knee bars, especially the sweep from guard where you go right into a knee bar. I wasn't being a good partner either, as I rolled too much and kept screwing up Carrie's angle. Just a bit off today.

No rolling, only had an hour and focused on technique. It was one of those days where I felt like most of the reps on things I hadn't done before (guard break to foot lock and toe fold) weren't very high quality. Still got some exposure though, which is the only way to become more comfortable with the technique.

I showed the guys a variation on the star sweep and tripod sweep...I'm not sure that they were too excited about them. I think they are open to ideas, but since they are testing for their purple with a detailed list of techniques, they're focused on performing them in a very specific way.

No comments: