Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Foot Burgler

7/16 - Valley

First class back at the Valley in awhile. The guys are working through the list of techniques for their purple belts, so we went through techniques at a pretty clip. There were a couple that I hadn't seen before, and was a little surprised by that b/c I thought that I'd been exposed to everything they were going to get tested on by now. One of them I really was a transition from the triangle to an arm-bar. If they posture straight up right before you have the triangle locked on, keep the grip on their arm and figure-four your legs in the opposite direction, with the leg that was going to lock on the outside coming over the top of their trapped arm and being locked on the other side. Probably not explaining it well, but it was pretty cool.

We were flying through techniques, and I think they were letting me get away with some sloppy reps b/c they  are testing and I'm not. Maybe my reps weren't as bad as I thought they were, but they sure didn't seem smooth.

A couple of quick rolls at the end, two with Damon and one with Gary. Damon was really emphasizing rolling loose (i.e. flow rolling), but it's a completely unnatural style of rolling for them. I'm not being critical, as it's a learned skill and not something that has been cultivated at this school. Damon started to loosen up in our second roll. I leave a lot of leg lock opportunities out there for him, especially when I play open guard. I need some help on how to keep my feet from getting burgled, especially in DLR.

2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

How come you're not testing??????

Relax On The Mat said...

Couple of reasons... I'm getting my belt promotions done through the downtown school, not the valley (they aren't affiliated). Also, the valley guys have been blues for at least a year longer than I have. I have two stripes and a ways to go before purple. I'm in no rush, as I feel like I'm still botching the fundamentals quite a bit.