Thursday, July 18, 2013

Buchecha!

7/18 - Valley

Found out yesterday that Buchecha is going to be doing a seminar on the west side in September. If I have the funds and it's not outrageous, you bet your sweet bippy that I'm going.

Went through a bunch of techniques on the purple belt list. Some of them I swear I haven't seen before. Good thing I'm not testing. :) One in particular, a N/S choke that starts from mount did not go especially well for me. Fist on one side of their neck, palm up lapel grip on the other. I didn't particularly care for the hand placement...seemed awkward...I was probably botching it.

Four of us today, and we went with flow rolls again. This time, Damon specified that there would be no submissions and no holding positions for more than ~3sec. I think these stipulations helped loosen the guys up. I got a spiderguard sweep a couple of times, which was gratifying. We all flowed a lot better, transitioning quite a bit from position to position. Gary was giving me superior positions and letting me work. Damon would let me get to top side-control but damned if I could establish anything that even remotely resembled control. In general, I focused on not getting passed and was more or less successful. I also focused on not doing that stupid thing that I tend to do with my leg in bottom half guard that could easily result in ligament tearing. :)

My ribs are pretty well seasoned to BJJ, and I regularly roll with guys that have 50+lb on me. Even so, at one point Scott dropped his weight on my ribs just right and I had to take a moment to collect my thoughts. Didn't take my wind, but it sure didn't feel like sunshine. It went away pretty quickly though and hasn't bothered me since, so I'm not too worried about it.

The space had A/C, but either it wasn't on or it wasn't on very much b/c I was sweating like a demon after 15min of rolling.

Last night in my Portuguese tutorial, it asked me to translate the following into Portuguese:

She is not a girl.

Hmmm. Ok. I mean, hey, I understand androgyny/trans issues better than most, but do I need to go off on a mental tangent about it when I'm trying to figure out word order? No, not really...

Ela não é uma menina

No comments: