Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Newbie

7/9/13 - Downtown

Bit of a frustrating class today. Worked passes from 93 guard (near-side pass, far-side pass and over/under). This went ok, except we weren't getting much help during the drilling portion b/c there was a brand new woman that required all of James' attention. Not a big deal, after several tries my partner and I were able to execute the over/under with some success.

The bummer for me came during the rolls. One roll with Opal, then James asked me to roll with the new girl. I was totally cool with that, and showed her the collar choke from guard, the difference between guard and mount, etc. Was not going to roll with her b/c she did not have any idea what was what. However, when the time was up for the round, no one else would pair up with her, so I was left to show her more stuff. And again for the third round. In hindsight, I should have went over to Opal and asked her to work with her friend after I worked a round with her, but I didn't want her friend to think that I was trying to ditch her. Next time I'll be more proactive.

To be clear, I'm fine working with newbies. We all have to start somewhere, and it's crazy how much you learn even when you try to show very basic movements and you have to answer questions about things that you may have just taken for granted. However, methinks it's important to spread the wealth.

I was bummed about not getting a good roll today, especially since I won't be hitting as many classes this week. Maybe I can hit the evening class...

No comments: