Monday, July 15, 2013

More Rolls, More Better

7/13/13 - Downtown

I think we did the brabo and baseball bat chokes from top side-control and/or KOB. Only had a couple of rolls. They were good, but I wanted more.

7/15/13 - Downtown

We had quite a few newbies, so it was a basic getting into and out of spiderguard, and then setting up an arm-bar from there.

Had great rolls with Dennis, Julio and Opal. After class I rolled with Kelly for awhile, who commented on how I was trying to pull him over my body when my legs were collapsed instead of doing a hip heist in the other direction. That probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me. Basically if my legs get collapsed he's recommending that I try to sit through, go belly down and re-guard instead of just letting them smash my side. I'm generally pretty hesitant to go belly-down and give up my back, but if you turn quick enough you might be ok. I'm going to try it (if I think of it) during rolls this week and see how it works for me.

Had a really good roll with Dennis...he asked if I was feeling especially good today b/c he said that I was rolling strong. I was trying very hard to keep my frames and not let him pass my guard and was mostly successful. I didn't threaten him with much, but I seemed to be transitioning between open and closed guard at the right times.

I also got some tips on kimura defense. I really need to work on this, b/c I've been getting kimura'd quite a bit. Kelly showed me that if your legs are free and opponent is trying to kimura you from the bottom (like a sloppy open guard), you can rotate a bit and turn it into an arm-bar from the top. Very slick, looks like something that will really work.

Overall I think I'm finally pretty much over mono (finally). I seem to have enough energy for BJJ in the morning and lifting at night and don't feel quite like death by 9pm.

No comments: