Tuesday, July 30, 2013

More is Less

7/30 - Valley

Went through the self-defense and top side-control movements for Damon's purple test. Some techniques I swear I haven't seen before. A new entry for the cross-choke from side-control by going to reverse kesa gatame first and sliding your hand in at that point. Ditto when going for a far-side arm-bar that is being defended.

Quick rolls with Damon and Scott. I worked a lot of open guard (not by choice) with Damon. I tried the tripod-to-sickle sweep and missed it. That would be a good one to drill a lot in order for it to become second nature and not allow them time to react. It would be worth it to have a follow-up to the tripod since I've been relying on it quite a bit. I managed to keep Damon at bay for most of the roll, which is a good accomplishment for me.

Scott was able to pass my guard relatively early on so I was left defending from bottom side and turtle. I still have to think too much on the turtle escapes, so by the time my brain chugs through what to do next my opponent has moved and I've lost the opportunity. Actually, that statement is true of so many positions. I didn't quite understand when people said that the more they learn about BJJ the less they know, but I'm starting to get it now...

No comments: