Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday Nooner

Bench Challenge

Time: 42:00
Run usual route (Riverfront Park to mile marker 21). Along the way, do 5x dips at each set of benches. Do only benches that are right along the trail.
If someone is sitting on the bench, proceed to the next free bench along the way and make it up there.

Also threw in 3 pullups near the start (wide beam, so didn't have a great grip) and 4 pullups near the end (angled tree branch, so I faced the branch and did shoulder pullups.

I haven't done runs where I did any sortof station work along the way in a really long time. I don't think the burpees in the middle of a run quite count. This was fun and challenging. The end was especially tough because there were five benches in a row with a set of pullups in the middle. I hit about 15-20 benches. Was interesting how it affected my normal breathing pattern, even after I had "recovered" from the last set.

I did this instead of burpees because the ground is still slushy/muddy and I got pretty dirty (and wet) and Monday. I tried doing some burpees on the wooden beams of the bridge, which were about the only area that was dry outside, but my feet were slipping as I was kicking back and I decided that wasn't a great idea.

This workout could be made more challenging by the following:
-increase the # of dips at each bench
-do *every* bench, not just sets of benches
-go off the trail and do those benches too

Tennis tonight, probably singles, might be double.

No comments: