Monday, March 7, 2011

Redemption

USTA 3.5 Singles Match 5-7; 6-1; 1-0 (10-3)  Time: 2:15hrs
Wow. This was an amazing match.  I ran my tail off the entire match.  I went up 4-1 in the 1st and got a little cocky and lost my focus.  That and I think my opponent got warmed up by then and started letting me have it.  She reeled off 4 games in a row, then I tied it up 5-5, then she got game 6.  I fought for that last game and we had several deuce points, but she pulled it out and I was down a set.  I was mad at myself for letting a big lead go, and was really focused in the 2nd set.

I went up 3-0 in the 2nd, and then she got a game and the next game (3-1) went to deuce.  I was thinking "Oh no, it's the 1st set all over again", so I fought and fought for that game.  So did she, as I'm sure she was aware that I wouldn't let a 4-1 go like I did the 1st set.  We battled for a long time...felt like a 15minute game.  Wish we could've counted the deuce points, but I estimate that there must have been close to 10.  Fortunately for me, she was serving the game.  She was doing a good job on her serves.  Didn't really let up on speed too much, and never double-faulted.  That's quite an accomplishment for such a long game.  In fact, I'm not sure that she double-faulted more than once or twice for the entire match (if that).  She didn't give up many unforced errors, period.  Anyway, at one point during the deuce marathon, I half-jokingly asked her if she wanted to play next-point-wins.  She laughed and said how about spin-for-the-win.  We were both really tired.  I ended up taking the game, which I think turned the set squarely in my favor. 

We went to a 3rd set tiebreak (instead of playing the 3rd set out, you play a tiebreak of first to 10 must win by 2pts).  I went up 5-1 and then kept it up for a 10-3 win. 

Mad props to Paula, as she really made me work for that victory and play (according to spectators) the best tennis I've ever played.  I had several fully-stretched-out single backhands that went in.  Came up to the net a few times but whiffed some volleys.  Thought about doing it later in the match, but was too gassed to do sprints up to the net.  We ran each other all over the court, and many of the games went to deuce.  We did a good job of moving each other side to side, although neither of us tried too many drop shots.  I did a couple, but dropped them at the service line instead of closer to the net which turned out badly for me.  The shots that she put at the service line I smashed for forehand winners, so I don't think she was going for drop shots later in the match either.   

I'm very happy about the win, and the team won 4-1 overall.  4 of the 5 matches went to 3rd set tiebreak, so it could have easily gone the other way. 

Hopefully this is a good omen for my coming BJJ tourny on Saturday!

No comments: