Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Had a good BJJ class last night.  Only three other attendees, so we got through quite a few techniques and had plenty of time to drill.  Did the scramble drill again (you and partner lay side-by-side or head-to-foot next to each other, and when the instructor yells "Go!", you scramble up and see who can get up and in a dominate position first.  We first did this on Saturday, and I've been enjoying it. I think they are going to work it into our warmups.

Worked guard-passes and side-control maintenance and submissions.  Slowed down the guard pass and did it in pieces which really helped.  Also makes it so that it will be more smooth.

Had four rolls, although the roll with Gary didn't quite count b/c he was instructing me more than we were rolling.  Got subs on everyone except for Gary, but really tried to work obtaining and maintaining a dominant position. Worked very deliberately with Holly to maintain side control.  I need work on keeping them from getting their knee in.  I think my weight may be too far forward or my knee is not snug into their side.  Overall, I felt good about my rolls.

Tournament is coming in less than 2 weeks!  Will be missing next Tuesday's class, so that leaves me with four classes before the tourny.  I don't feel like I need much in the way of last minute prep, although doing some no-gi work would be nice (but probably won't happen until after the tourny).  Would also like to get some pointers on the triangle, because I naturally gravitate to that position, but I don't think I'm making enough hip movements to lock it in and finish it. Learned how to sweep someone who is stacking you if they are in your guard (which happens alot when I try to triangle) on Saturday but can't remember what it is.  Will ask for help on that on Thursday.

Might do frisbee or run during lunch today and definitely some tennis late tonight.  Frisbee would be challenging because there's still about an inch and half of slush on the grass.  They tried to get a game together late yesterday, not sure if it actually happened.  Looking forward to see if the box jumps help with my leaping ability in fris!  :)

No comments: