Saturday, March 5, 2011

Better Luck Next Time

Had an absymal BJJ class today. Dane was back, which was great, but he completed dominated position during our roll which was a little less great.  Wrestling really seems to keep him primed for BJJ.  I did ok in the techniques, but could not get anything going during the rolls.  Was kept in side-control for the almost the entirety of all four rolls (one with Dane and Walter and twice with Scott).  Couldn't get a knee in AT ALL.  I didn't get submitted by Dane or Walter, but the fact that I couldn't improve my position was very disheartening.  I was trying to stay relaxed, but having bigger guys on top for the full five minutes takes a bit out of the ole gas tank.  By the time I rolled with Scott, I was pretty winded and discouraged.  Bad combo, especially when he didn't give me much of anything to work with.  At some point early in our first roll, my arm was trapped between our chests while he was on top and that made it very difficult to breathe. I came close to tapping, but said f it, I'm not going to tap just b/c someone's on top of me.  I probably should've, b/c the combination of getting manhandled and almost having to tap due to chest pressure made me a bit emotional and it was all downhill from there.  *sigh*  Haven't had a class that bad in quite some time.  The guys were fine, I just couldn't implement any sort of defense.  The few times that I did get into guard, I'd try to throw up a triangle and they'd just push it aside and land in...you guessed it...side-control.  I'm bummed that I had such a downer class the week before the tournament, but will have to put it out of my mind and focus on what I can do.  Won't be rolling next Tuesday, so on the Thursday class I will probably not roll at the end or will maybe just do some light positional drills if someone is willing.

Also had an hour and a half of singles tennis.  Having a break between BJJ and tennis if I have to do them the same day is a really good idea.  Did ok in tennis.  We just hit, didn't play out points or anything.  My backhand was a lot better than it has been...was able to do a better job of directing it down the ad side of the court.  Have a USTA match tomorrow and won't be doing any working out in the morning, so will hopefully have plenty of energy for the match.  Will probably be paired up with another high school or college player.  :P

No comments: