Thursday, May 7, 2015

Wed Night

I was feeling pretty stiff by the time class started and the weird thing with my knee was a concern during warmups. My knee doesn't feel loose at all, but more like a shin split just below my knee. It's very odd and doesn't feel great, but I think it's structurally sound. Doesn't bother me at all when rolling or doing lateral movements. Once I'm warmed up the pain is gone.

Big class, around 26+. Went over opening a closed guard, including from kneeling and standing. Also passing the lockdown. KOTH, win by submission, back or mount. Went with Kelly first, lost by triangle. Back to the wall. Then Nick, who I thought for sure would try to start off with spiderguard. Apparently he's working his passing. I was able to keep him from passing. I swept and almost got on top but he used an americana reversal from side-control that I was unhappy to concede. I think I ended up in mount. 

After that it was several white belt women. One of them was Akina, a teenager who recently received her brown belt in judo. I tried to berimbolo based off of some recent video instruction and lo and behold! My first well-executed bolo. After three wins you were back on the wall, so back I went. Once I got to the front, Rachael was waiting for someone to roll with, and I was only too happy to oblige. 

I tried to bolo her as well with much less success. She keeps threatening footlocks. There's a video for that which I'll have to watch soon. It was a very back and forth affair. I eventually got to top side control with her near arm pinned under my leg and most of my weight on her head and shoulders. I diligently kept after her far arm and eventually freed it for an americana. That was the first time I think I've been able to stay in top side-control.

After she left, big Chris came over. Thankfully, time was called right after we slapped hands.

No comments: