Monday, May 18, 2015

Sat/Sun/Mon

Big fundamentals class...at least 14 (eek!). Maintaining mount and submissions from mount. It's kindof weird that people don't ask questions, but I've come to expect it. I don't ask many questions during class either.

Nooner was a relatively small crowd. Tough day, started off with 2min positional sparring. With Kelly. Mount, back-mount and side-control. I was humbled pretty quick and choked with the bow and arrow I don't know how many times. Left a nice mark that looks like a hickey. Thanks, Kelly.

Rolls with Kelly and can't remember who else. Nothing remarkable other than I probably got choked again.

Sunday advanced class was small group of six or so. I worked grip breaking, breaking spiderguard grips, DLR/RDLR and top side-control transitions. Rolls with Kelly, Shaun and Russ. 

Sunday night James asked if I'd cover the Monday morning class. Sure! Had no idea what I was going teach until a half hour before class I decided to do my favorite pass (split pass), top side-control transition to the back and then maintaining back control. I haven't done too many classes outside of fundamentals and it's a little different animal when there are mostly higher belts in the room, but not much. Overall I think it went well and several guys commented that they liked it.

Rolls with Nate, Chris, Julio, Jason S., Dennis and Joe. Nate had top control the entire time. Tried for at least one submission but I was able to get out of it. Best I could do was get to a z half guard, but that's it.

Fairly even roll with Chris, I even worked a pass at one point. 

Julio had top side pretty much the entire time. I managed to defend subs but was in one bad spot after another.

Jason got the DLR back-take (that's MY move!) and spent most of the round on my back. Got the body triangle which was a lot of unfun. I finally got to the side of the figure four, but did me no good. He finally got me with a choke, might have been a bow and arrow. We restarted and somehow I was in mount again. :(

Dennis had the better of the positioning. Mostly top side control. Almost had armbars on both sides but gave up on them or it wasn't quite right. I was sweating that. I don't think he got a sub, so there's that.

I was a bit frustrated after all of that and took it out of Joe, arm-barring him several times from guard and once from mount. Probably shouldn't have finished all of those, but he kept sticking his arms out straight after I recommend he keep his elbows in tighter to his body.

No comments: