Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday Morning and Night

Morning

Body felt in pretty good shape. Technique was submissions from 93 guard. Wrist lock if they grip your lapel, arm-bar or shoulder-lock if they grab your bottom leg, try to cross-face or just leave their arm hanging out. If you can drag their far arm across your torso, bring the leg that's up across their back and use it to bite down on their back so that you can free your bottom leg and lock up a very tight triangle or arm-bar (assuming you get the bottom leg out). 

Rolled with Sol, Dennis, Kristopher, Julio and can't remember who else. Didn't feel like I could work my game with anyone save for some guard work with Dennis. I started standing with with Sol and Dennis. Ended up pulling or falling into guard with both of them. Julio was smashing the bejesus out of me from top...somewhere. Heavy smash and submit. Heavy smash and submit. At one point I just chilled in whatever shitty position it was to wait him out, b/c I certainly wasn't going to move him anywhere. I attempted an escape when he moved but was not successful. I think he could tell that I was frustrated b/c then he just went completely noodle, let me take his back and work a choke. It drives me nuts when high level guys can't find a gear between hulk smash and limp noodle. Of course smash and submit sucks for me, but the answer isn't to go completely limp after we reset. Either continue with smash and submit, or for pete's sake move around to a *different* smash position. Or work guard. Or something.


Evening

Exact same techniques from this morning. Discovered that I wasn't controlling the arm at all when setting up the triangle. I was relying on a two-on-one sleeve grip instead of using the tricep (which incidentally would have a better carry-over to no gi).

KOTH, can only win with back-control or mount. No submissions. I started down and first opponent was Jenny. I worked guard for awhile trying to hit sweeps but nothing doing. Powered out of a few things that were largely due to the 40+lb I have on her. Back to guard and finally got a pendulum sweep.

Jamie after that. I spent almost the entirety of the roll in some godawful bottom position barely fending off mount. A nice mix of top side-control with some KOB and quarter guard thrown in when he had a close attempt to mount that I narrowly prevented. I could have been submitted a number times with his favorite N/S choke, kimuras, arm-bars, etc. At one point I had a half guard that he was passing with a knee cut pass. He didn't get the underhook and I came around to his back. I had one hook but had a hard time securing a seatbelt grip to work the second hook in. I tried stretching him out but it wasn't working. He eventually got me twisted around and on my back in guard. He passed and got to mount.

After that I spent some time on the wall before starting another roll with Jenny that was stopped due to time.

Overall pretty meh rolling today. Dennis commented that my game seems to have really improved over the past couple of months. Similar to what Jason S said yesterday. I trust those guys aren't blowing sunshine up my ass. Glad they're sharing it with me. I do feel like I'm getting better at leg pummeling, retaining guard and bailing to turtle when passes are inevitable. Not hugely better, but better.

No comments: