Sunday, March 29, 2015

Saturday

I was excited to teach Fundies, because it was something that I feel pretty comfortable with...namely, submissions from guard. Cross-choke, arm-bar and triangle. I barely had time for the triangle because we spent so much time on the first two. Having a (relatively) big class of ~12 people contributed to that. I had a couple of people who trained under my previous school question the grips for the cross choke. We had all been trained to have the palm up grip be the top hand, but James teaches it the opposite way and I've had more success in setting it up that way. It makes more intuitive sense, and I think that I was able to explain why the way I showed it had merit as well.

I liked the level of detail that I was able to cover with the cross-choke and arm-bar. I wish I would have done the triangle explanation differently, b/c I confused the hell out of people with the set-up. My intention was to flow from one submission to another and I should have stuck with that plan. Lesson learned.

Noon class was wrestling with Nader. Surprise! No one knew about this other than James and Nader. There were a lot of disappointed faces around the room, which ticked me off a bit. It's fine if wrestling isn't your favorite, but keep it to yourself. I get that people would like to have notice so that they can wear their no gi gear, but don't grumble about it.

Nader was very accommodating and did several judo takedowns, including osoto gari, uchi mata from an overhook grip and a seoi nage using collar and sleeve. After that was single leg defense and single leg finishes. I did ok on the finishes, but need a lot of work on the set-ups.

Rolled with Rachael, Sol, Nando and maybe someone else. Pretty much got my ass kicked. Rachael hit the seoi nage when we started standing. I was proud of her.

No comments: