Thursday, March 19, 2015

Worlds

Soooooooooo....

Over the course of time spent at Pans last week, Rachael and I talked quite a bit about our goals for future tournaments. I mentioned that I always wanted to go see Worlds in person, and she responded with the perfectly reasonable question of "Why wouldn't you pay an extra $100 and compete if you're going to go all the way down there and watch?" 

Brilliant. Her logic is solid. I've always thought that I'm too old and too much of a hobbyist to compete at Worlds, but why not? I had a decent showing at Pans, and if I put a full year into focused training, why couldn't I win some matches at Worlds? I'd be two years into my purple, a shade under 40 and it'll probably be the best opportunity I have to compete at that level. 

The biggest fear is that I'd walk away with a goose egg on the biggest stage, but why should I let that hold me back? Life is short and all that.

If nothing else, the focus of getting there will help improve my game, as I know I'll have to work areas that I'd otherwise like to neglect (i.e. standup) As long as training doesn't become a chore or my ego takes hit when I don't do well in class, I think this is a good choice.

Between now and then is (hopefully) Five, Master Worlds and Pans next year. There's also talk among teammates of a trip to Brazil at some point, which I'd dearly love. Maybe some other tournaments sprinkled in, which will be primarily driven by $$. Would love to spend a week at Hannette or Mackenzie's schools to train before next May. Exposure to different styles would be a huge benefit.

Anyway, that's my idea. No reason why I can't make it happen. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it! There is no downside. I am 44 years old, competed as feather purple last year as a brand new purple at worlds. I lost my first fight against a guy that could be my son but I was able to score and hang for 7 minutes.

Do it. You will not regret it.

Relax On The Mat said...

Thank you, and kudos for you going out there and competing your first year into purple!

There really is no downside, which is a great way of looking at it.

SavageKitsune said...

Win or learn. It is true, no downside to that.