Monday, March 23, 2015

Advanced Class

I sortof had a plan of what I wanted to drill, but it wasn't as clear as I would like. I found myself with only a few minutes to prepare my list before class. I was going to spend time watching the Ryan Hall passing series and pick out a few new things to drill, but it didn't work out that way. 

I started off with lapel and sleeve grip breaks from top position. Pant grip breaks from bottom and then my DLR -> sweeps -> RDLR rotation. Lasso sweeps, split pass and probably some other techniques that I don't remember.

Rolled with Russ, Kelly and Chaz. I might have rolled with Chaz twice. The grip breaking that was working so well for me during drills was abysmal during my roll with Chaz. It was partially due to technique and positioning, but with a sweat soaked thin gi it was much more difficult than with a dry gi.

Had good rolls with the guys. I felt like Russ was giving me full Russ power and I still did ok. He tried a berimbolo but I was able to reverse or at least disrupt it enough that he had to disengage and move to something else. 

I don't think Kelly was going full out, but didn't seem like he was backing off that much. It was one of my better rolls with him. He got a great wrist-lock that I wasn't anticipating. 

Overall I felt good with the rolls. I did squats & press a couple of hours before, but it didn't seem to bother my rolls. Nice to be able to lift and roll well the same day.

No comments: