Friday, March 6, 2015

Mon Wed Fri

At some point, the thought occurred to me that I was rolling way too tight last weekend. I was trying to force techniques instead of taking what was available (or attempting to take what wasn't available, in the case of rolling with the black belts). I subconsciously had decided somewhere along the way that I was either going to use the DLR tech-stance sweep, the DLR back-take or RDLR kiss of the dragon. I'm not sure why I was so focused on a tight gameplan. It worked great on white and some blue belts, but was NOT the right choice against higher belts.

After realizing this, I made it a point to be less constrained about which techniques I was going to attempt. Go with the flow and all that. My rolls this week seemed to go much better. Sarah was a good sport and let me roll continuously with her. 

I didn't do any night classes b/c my body was pissed about something and seemed on the verge of getting sick. I slept as much as I could, popped Vit C and did a whole lot of nothing. As of Friday morning I think I'm in the clear.

Fri morn was no gi, but Sarah was a good friend and brought her gi. Dennis also brought his gi by mistake, so I took advantage and rolled with him after class for a fair amount of time (at least 15min). I was ahead of the game for the first half of the roll, but once he got a top position I was hard-pressed to get out of it. Overall I'm happy with it though. I got a flower sweep of all things and made it to mount.

I want to go into next week feeling like my body is in good shape and that I'm in a good place mentally. I think the mental aspect is there, but it would be even better with some good rolls.

No comments: