Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wednesday Morning

Something--possible beer--really jacked up my digestion at the tail of the trip. In addition, sleep was almost nonexistent for a couple of days, so I didn't do either of the classes on Monday. Lifted last night and hit morning class at pretty close to 100%.


Technique started from seated guard, and included the cross choke if they try to pass opposite the lapel grip, diving under for I don't even know what the choke was called and a kimura takedown/sweep if they grab a single leg. Felt good with all of those.

When drilling technique, I'm going to start (gently) swatting away their initial attempt at a lapel grip. When establishing my own grip, I'm going to fake/feed with my right and then my left.

I decided that my trepidation of standing has got to go. I started all of my rolls from standing if people were agreeable to it. We have the mat space in morning class at least, so that's the plan moving forward.

Two rolls with Sarah, two with Sol, one with Jason S., Shaun and Tyrone. I started off harder than necessary with Sarah. I was pretty amped up to be back. I mellowed out a bit, and we had good rolls. Worked pressure from top and changing angles. Tried a few things that I wasn't sure would work and...they didn't.

I worked a strong guard with Tyrone, transitioning from arm-bar to omoplata to triangle and finally finishing the triangle. James happened to be sitting right there and gave me a couple of helpful pointers. Poor Tyrone. :) 

The rolls with Sol were tough, as he would sit back, let me establish an open guard from the knees and then work smash passes or something similar. I almost got to his back at one point and worked a nice pass to mount combo...which he immediately reversed. But I legitimately got the pass, so there's that.

The roll was Jason was basically 5min of me trying to fend off a knee slice pass. I turtled several times to prevent the pass and I think I managed to keep him at bay for the entirety of the round.

Shaun wanted to flow roll, and once again I came out too aggressive and stiff. I tried to chill a bit, and more or less flowed.

I kept an eye on several different things and I'm happy with how I executed them. I mostly fended off lapel grips, I tried to not fully extend my legs in guard and I tried to change my angles and get better leg control when passing.
 

No comments: