Monday, November 10, 2014

Rolling Back Attack Monday Morn

Took some time off due to a cold I couldn't quite shake and to give myself a mental break.

Body felt good today, and after a couple of rolls it seemed to get right back into it. Rolling back attacks from top half guard was the move of the day. Felt very good with this, even though I haven't done it quite a long while. We went over some details on how to ensure a successful back-attack, as well as options for banana-split or calf-slicer. Monoplata is available if they try to use their arm to block you from rolling in the first place.

Rolled with Sarah, Rachael, Tyrone and Chris. Sarah and I had a fun roll, lots of back and forth and me just trying to get into the groove again. I kept trying to bolo while she was in a tight combat stance but she had a good grip on my free leg and I wasn't going much of anywhere. Really enjoyable roll.

My goal with Rachael was to avoid her top side-control, and I managed that pretty well. Kept a good frame in half guard and swept her once or twice. She went back for a foot-lock and I was able to stand up on it, but I lucked out b/c I started clearing her leg to the wrong side. Another fun roll, very, very competitive.

Tyrone was working to pass my guard and came pretty close at one point. He might have passed, I just can't remember. I was trying to work the 93 guard bury-the-head-underhook-leg type of passes on both Ty and Chris with very little luck today. I don't think I was fully committing to getting their leg stretched all the way out. In any case, I did manage to sweep/pass Ty. Good roll. 

Chris was sitting back a bit, not to guard but not coming forward to pass. I worked the 93 guard again and kept trying to get him off balance but didn't have much luck. I had an arm-in guillotine but couldn't finish. I don't have much exposure to those so no idea what I was doing wrong there.

Happy to be back on the mats. Rachael is trying to convince me to do Revolution next weekend, but I'm not crazy about wiping out an entire weekend at a tournament again.

No comments: