Friday, November 21, 2014

Fri Morn No Gi

It's been a month or so since I've done no gi. I shouldn't let that much time pass...

Taking the back from guard or transitioning to an arm-bar if they post out. Taking the free knee over into technical mount if they death grip the knee that's across their stomach. If you can't get the back, arm-bar with their hand trapped in your pit and/or pendulum sweep and attack the arm again (trapped the entire time).

No submissions allowed during rolling today. To "win" you had to get to mount or back-mount. Ten jumping jacks at the end of the round for each instance in which you gave up mount or back. Rolled with Sarah, Dennis, Antone, Blaine and Shaun. 

Sarah came very close to getting my back AND getting mount but I was able to fend the attempts off. I did get mount near the end of the round using a pendulum/flower type sweep (don't remember which one).

Dennis came very close to getting mount too, but I got to quarter guard before the 3sec count was up. I never really came close to getting into a dominant position with him. I may have swept him one or twice, but didn't stay on top long enough to capitalize on it.

I was doing fairly well against Antone, and came close to getting his back a couple of times. I thought I was free and clear during one of his bolo attempts and was content to give up side control when he went right to mount. Somehow in all of the times he's done that to me, I still didn't see it coming. Felt kindof n00b at that point, but felt like I acquitted myself pretty well the rest of the roll. Seems like it's been at least a month since I've rolled with him.

Blaine had top position for the most part, but didn't come very close to getting to a 4pt position. Again, I got a couple of brief sweeps but didn't stay on top long enough to do anything. He was the only that I was able to invert successfully to maintain guard. I tried it on Dennis but he did a good job of controlling my arm and preventing the inversion.

Shaun was more interested in setting up subs and positions from guard than getting to mount or the back. The stuff he was working on was very interesting. He's turned into quite the technician in the time that I've known him.
 

No comments: