Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Wed Morn

It turns out that if your opponent is doing a lapel drag while you're standing, you probably shouldn't hit the deck knee first. Sarah wasn't quite putting all of her weight behind the first couple of tries, so I encouraged her to really get her butt off the ground and use her body to yank me down.

Well, she did and it worked beautifully. Except that I fell with my right knee diving into the mat instead of more balanced on my shins. Hurt like hell initially, but it mellowed out after awhile and will probably just be bruised. Ow.

Arm-drag from seated guard, lapel drag from seated guard, Telles sweep from seated guard (either tackle and grapple or scoot into side control).

Rolled with Sarah, Shaun, Chris and Jesse. I had Sarah in quite a few bad spots, but she was able to use the threat of a knee-bar to get out of a choke that I was trying to apply from a weird top half guard position.

Shaun and I had more movement and transition in our roll than normal, which was nice. He caught a very sweet straight arm-bar while I was screwing around in top half guard trying to free my leg. 

Chris had a strong base when he was in my guard and good side-control pressure. It seemed like he would let up on positions at times b/c he doesn't want to muscle through things, but it throws me off a bit b/c he goes from heavy side-control to letting me escape. 

I was kindof hoping to not roll with Jesse b/c he's a big boy and hasn't been in class for awhile. I thought he might want to hulk smash, and when he came close to getting one of my arms free that's exactly what he did. I don't know how, but I managed to get out of both a triangle and at least one arm-bar. I know that I need to maintain distance and try to cut angles instead of playing closed guard but I still don't do very well against big guys.

Half-hearted roll with Savannah after class. She also had an arm-bar, which started off belly down. I did a good job of stacking her up and keeping a lot of pressure on her hamstrings while I circled around a bit and got to a stable base before yanking my arm out.

No comments: