Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Double Shot Monday

Morning class consisted of shin guard on a standing or one-knee-down opponent. Sit up sweep and dump them to opposite side, or same side if they use their hands to hover above you. If they kneel down, you can move to single leg X and either dump them immediately to opposite side if there's space or get their leg across your stomach and then dump them.

I really liked the first sweep, but I didn't like how low on their body I landed. Your knees end up just below their knees, so then it's either a scramble to keep them down or trying to wriggle all the way up.

Can't remember much about the rolls, but I do remember to tapping to a bow and arrow from Jason S. I thought I was relatively safe until I wasn't. :(  Rolled with Sarah twice, tried a lot of hovering nonsense above her guard while she was trying to establish and sweep me with an X guard or some variation thereof. It's kindof fun to hover, but I'm not sure that it's going to do me much good. My chest ends up being about the level of their head, and unless I'm able to cut my leg through somehow, I often end up with my back taken or dumped to one side or another.

Night class consisted of various rolling back attacks. Started with one that I know fairly well from top half guard. Also did one from mount and top reverse side-control. That one foozled me a bit, and it wasn't until I got some time after class with James that I was able to figure out that I was diving for it too close to their hips instead of their knees. It's not quite the same as the half-guard or mount variations. 

I was working with Naomi, who is a couple of weeks in but she did surprisingly well with the complicated technique.

Rolls were KOTH, win via mount or back-mount. I started down and Opal was my first opponent. It took me over 15min to finally get her back. I worked primarily from guard and tried a wide variety of sweeps but couldn't budge her. I'm a little concerned that I couldn't sweep her. She was locked down and not trying to pass, and she also didn't have to worry about submissions. But still. 

After that it was little Rachael. I flowed with her a bit and then let her get to mount. That was it for rolling.

I worked with Opal after class on mount escapes and then took some time for myself to go over the back attack I had problems with in class.

I really enjoyed the vibe and learning process. Didn't want to leave the mat today. 



 

No comments: