Saturday, November 30, 2013

Smash Saturday

11/30

Just. Got. Crushed. I should have known I was in trouble when I was feeling winded during the warm-ups. It's amazing how you can have ample energy for one class and then crap for the next one. I've been needing to get back to lifting and bodyweight conditioning, a theory which was reinforced when I was puffing along today.

Worked pulling guard with the dummy sweep, dummy sweep to single-leg, tripod to sickle, tripod to X guard back-take. Did ok with the techniques, but did not come up correctly a single time with the sickle sweep and ended up in a bastardized 50/50. Simply couldn't noodle how to back my leg out. Other than that, the technique portion was fine.

The rolls weren't so fine. First with Antone, who tied me up in knots, bolo'd me, and discovered a neat sweep to bolo combination that he was pretty excited about. Then Clayton, who just crushed, crushed, crushed. Top side-control, KOB, rinse and repeat. At one point, I was wondering if he was returning the favor for my part in the shark tank from the previous week. Then Russ wanted to drill the arm-bars from Walter's visit. That wasn't so bad. Then James had top side-control and gently but thoroughly crushed. Finally Sol and crush crush crush from top side control. Ugh.

Felt utterly ineffective today. Hate days like that. Granted, I was rolling exclusively with purple belts and above, but still.

My neck started feeling better before class and didn't bother me at all during.

Have a local tournament coming up in a couple of weeks, which probably didn't help with my expectations of myself during the rolls.


2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

What tournament? Are you doing the Proving Grounds?

Relax On The Mat said...

An in-town tournament. No traveling, so I won't hardly know what to do with myself. :)