Sunday, November 24, 2013

Walter: Part IV

11/23



Felt like absolute death when I woke up. Probably partly the mono and partly simple exhaustion. The thought of shark-tanking my peers later in the day was most unpleasant. I figured my body was close to its limit, so I had breakfast and went back to bed. Woke up, did dishes, back to bed. Sat on the couch and watched a football game. Did absolutely nothing all day. I had to be at the gym at 5pm, and it was very lucky for me that the belt testing was a late afternoon affair instead of a morning affair. I started to feel more human around 4pm, and on the drive over I felt more confident that I was going to have energy to get through it.

Four guys were testing for purple, and they were on the last couple of positions when I arrived. There were about 15 people who showed up for tank. We did 7 people per guy, with James and Walter as the last two to go. No submissions, only dominate positions. I went with the first group for Clayton, and was the 5th to go. I had no intention of trying to take him down whether he was tired or not, so I pulled guard and immediately went for a sweep. Missed the sweep, but he came forward enough in my guard that I was able to get back-mount. I don't remember the rest, except that I was on top for the majority of the time. I did well, and heard someone comment behind me that I turn into an animal during tankings.

Other groups went with Dennis and Russell, and then Walter put me first against Sol. Sad panda for me. Again I pulled guard, and as I went for a scissor sweep he passed my guard and sat in side-control. I tried to escape, but was wholly unsuccessful. If someone gets a dominant position they can just chill, and that's what Sol did to conserve his energy. I was mad at myself for not being able to escape, but it's not like I ever have much success against his top side-control. Wasn't happy with my performance. He ended up getting mauled by everyone else, so it was good that he had a minute of not mauling from me.

I've never looked kindly upon hazing, but there's something about the rite of passage associated with the tank that is appealing. Your peers are trying to destroy you, while simultaneously cheering and letting out throaty roars when you stand up one more time after Walter has hip tossed you into the ceiling. For all of the participants, there is absolutely nothing else going on in the world other than watching and exhorting the attempt to survive--and for the very strong of heart and body--thrive. I can make peace with the tanking ritual b/c it isn't just mindless abuse...it's an exhibition of the sport itself. The belt gauntlet on the other hand...

After the tank the guys went through the belt gauntlet, and they got absolutely pummeled. I never think it's that bad until it's happening. The noise is the most alarming part. No, not true. Watching Walter wind up is the worst part.

I'm so proud of those guys.

No comments: