Friday, November 15, 2013

Moura Guard

11/15

Scott and Damon got the purples last night!!! I was bummed that their test was in Boise so I wasn't able to attend. I'm really happy for them. It's too bad that I don't get to train with them anymore, but such is the way of conflicting schedules. Hopefully we can get together on a Saturday.

Felt like a truck hit me when I woke up this morning, but a large cup of coffee fixed that. Caffe d'Arte drip dark from Seattle. Coffee elitist, yesssssssss.

Today we went over the Moura guard. I love this guard, even though I'm not particularly effective with it. Setting it up, triangle or arm-bar if they break the leg grip, arm-bar if they try to block the free leg.

Rolls with Antone, Todd, Jason, James, Ed. Another roll with Antone after class. Overall was really happy with my rolls. I was able to execute the DLR back-take successfully on Todd. Swept Jason, which almost never, ever happens. Did not let Ed pass. Got a couple of subs, but really should have focused on sweeps. I can't help it against big guys though. Antone manhandled me in our first roll, as did James. I thought I was getting good position on James and he'd get a toe hold from god knows where. He pulls ridiculous moves out of his arse and there were several times when I said (muffled through the mouthguard), "You've GOT to be kidding me." I sortof got a sweep, but I think he gave it to me.

Roll with Antone after class. I damn near had an arm-bar in the midst of a transition but it was an odd angle (I was sortof inverted) and I couldn't noodle how to finish it. Fridays are like a treat since it's the only day that I get roll with him.

Was pleasantly surprised with how much energy I had today. It's supposed to snow tonight, so I'll probably forego the no gi class and dive under the blankets.

I asked Walter if he'd bring old Portuguese books/magazines next week and he said he would. The grammar books I ordered earlier in the week arrived last night, and I'm looking forward to poring over those this weekend.

Can't believe James is going to get his black belt next week. He's being very, very low key about it. He's such an amazing, humble guy. I see enough stuff on the interwebs to know that I'm very lucky to have an instructor that is so passionate about the sport, runs 9 adult classes a week and makes it very affordable.

No comments: