Thursday, November 21, 2013

Throw the One Legged Man

11/20 - Evening

I'm probably over-training. I've been rolling ok the past couple of days, but I feel like I'm missing a ton of opportunities and that I'm not being smooth. Not sure if it's a real problem or a perception problem. Doesn't matter, b/c Walter is flying in today and will be here for tonight's class, tomorrow morning and tomorrow night.

Last night was prep for the guys testing. Everyone pair up and do 2min of as many techniques as you know from a particular position. I did ok with this, but as usual my KOB escape repertoire was a little suspect.

Rolls with Tien, Savannah, Sarah, Opal, Julio, Christine, Nando. Everything was fine until Nando got me in a triangle. I let me ego get involved here, b/c Nando hasn't been training much since July. He was out completely from July-Sep and has been sporadic in the past couple of months. How is he catching me in a triangle? It kindof ticked me off, b/c I've been training my ass off and he hasn't. That's all ego though. Need to let it go.

We lined up after class and James gave Ian a stripe. That's great. But then he decided that we should all still throw Ian, even though he has a broken foot and is wearing a cast. Just let him down easy, he said. *sigh* Everyone did mellow throws, and I decided that an ankle pick on his good leg would dump him (gently) on his ass. Well, no. He ended up hopping around on his cast and I looked like a complete idiot. Meh. I apologized profusely while everyone laughed. Meh. Meh.

Rolled with Julio after class, as much to get myself away from the stink of that situation as to actually roll. I did especially well against him during class, which surprised him. He did a lot of sitting back and not engaging in my guard, which flummoxed me. Although it wasn't difficult to flummox me after the debacle of post-stripe throws. He showed me a easy sweep from the leg lasso that I've had done to me quite a bit but haven't drilled for myself in quite awhile. He was very much in the teaching mood, which was fine by me.

Body is generally a little sore and tight all over, but not too bad.

2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

I would've tried to pick the cast leg.

Relax On The Mat said...

Pretty much anything would have been better than what I did. It made sense when I visualized it in my head, which was my first mistake. I shouldn't trust my instincts when it comes to takedowns.