Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday Morning

12/2 

Had two meals yesterday and no breakfast before class this morning. Oops. My energy level was ok, but not fantastic. We did 93 guard for the technique portion of class, which was fine until it was time to invert from RDLR. Inverting isn't usually a problem for me, but today was a downright struggle. I had one rep of the back-take that was decent, but the rest were pretty woeful. I didn't get the RDLR to X guard transition once. It doesn't help that I'm almost completely ignorant of how X guard works. By the end of class I think I figured out which leg is supposed to go where.

Rolling was a trainwreck. I escaped a couple of times, but otherwise Nate was passing my guard, holding me side-control, mount, etc. No subs, but my positioning was godawful.

Same story with Jason (b). He had top side and mount for the entirety of the roll. I got his back at the end, but I could tell he was letting up a bit. Repeated again with C. Smash, smash, smash. Savannah also passed my guard at will, or at least got to top quarter guard. I was able to reverse a couple of times, but I had zero offense today. No technique, nothing.

After class Dennis asked if I was up for another roll. My instinct was to decline. In fact, after the first roll I thought about heading out since I was feeling so crappy about my game. But something told me to give it a go, b/c honestly it couldn't have gone worse than my earlier rolls. Also I haven't rolled with him since he got his purple. So we hit the mat and had a ~10min roll. I did much, much better than I had earlier in class. I was either on his back, attempting to pass his guard (which I did successfully a couple of times) or seriously threatening from bottom side. I had an inverted triangle locked up but once again couldn't quite noodle how to finish it. He said that it was close, so I'm not too far off. To be fair, he hasn't been to class for a week and has been working a lot, so he probably wasn't at the top of his game.

Even so, I'm really, really glad that I had a good roll with Dennis. My game has felt like garbage the past couple of days.

It's supposed to get butt cold this week, with lows in the single digits. Think I'm going turn my office into a weight room tonight. Cannot get psyched to go lift in the cold garage.

No comments: