Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Unbaffled

11/13 - Evening

The downside to training twice a day is that your body hates you a little bit. The upside is that you're able to revisit techniques and clear up misunderstandments while they're still fresh in your mind. We went over the same techniques from this morning, and it became clear to me what James meant about the two different "sides" of reverse kesa gatame in half guard (if there is such a thing). It boils down to which leg is trapped in the half guard.

Big class tonight, around 15 or so. Drilled the technique with Sarah, and of course it takes one little hip bump to make a technique about a billion times more effective.

Rolled with Sarah, Ben, Kelly and Sol. I'm getting a little bit better at not just sitting back when I'm in combat stance and someone gets me a bit off balance to sweep. But not really. I still flop over way to readily. I did work tonight on trying to keep my balance, but that often involved me trying to keep my balance after they establish grips, a hook, and were well on their way to the sweep.

After class rolled with Kelly. No clock, but I'm guessing we went about fifteen minutes or so. I think he was letting me work a bit, but even so I did fairly well in not letting him bolo me all over the mat. I genuinely surprised him at one point with a sweep. He gave me some constructive advice midway through our roll, namely that I extend my legs a fair amount when I don't have a contact point on my opponent's body whilst trying to retain guard. He recommended that I keep my feet closer and knees bent. Solid advice.

Body is feeling tired, neck is sore but not unbearable. Hardly felt it when rolling, but hours later it's stiffening up.

I had to wear the Atama tonight b/c Ian had my SYR, my new Tatami is at the tailor getting patched and my Koral is retired as of today. I haven't worn the Atama in a couple of months, and I didn't miss how damn short it is in the pants AT ALL. It's like wearing capris (which I don't wear). Not ok. If there are any good black Friday deals on gis, I think I'm going to pick up another one.


No comments: