Friday, November 8, 2013

No Bagel, No Bueno

11/7

I was feeling tired at the start of class, likely due to neglecting my afternoon bagel. Good-sized turnout, mostly lower blues and whites. It's so weird being an "upper" belt in a large class. Worked with Sarah, who was also feeling groggy, so we made a good pair. We worked on the basic flower sweep and a few variations to an arm-bar and triangle if they defend the sweep by posting.

KOTH with tournament competitors on the mat regardless of the outcome. Submission or mount ends the roll. I started with Savannah and after several minutes had to stop b/c my calf was cramping so badly. I had a truckload of water during the day and a banana, but I neglected the sodium component and paid for it. Also got to roll with Jesse, a big white belt. The trick is to not let him get on top. I kept him at bay and passed his guard, but let him get on top and he eventually got an arm-bar. Clayton finished me off rather quickly, as we had transitioned from sub/mount to 4 points for a win. He got a pass, followed by KOB. Ian and I went back and forth for awhile. I had him near the end, so he was pretty tired and I was able to secure an arm-bar.

Wasn't happy with the outcome of my roll with Jesse. I try to be as colorblind as possible when it comes to belt colors, but sometimes it gets to me that I'm a "weaker" blue belt. I feel like I need another year or so at blue, b/c it's going to be even rougher emotional hurdle at purple. I know that I'm doing the best that I can, but it still kinda sucks. I make up stuff in my head as to what the guys are thinking, which is dumb. "I subbed an advanced blue and Pan Am gold medalist, but it's a female so....."  It stings on multiple levels b/c it's not like I'm an "average" female. I'm in pretty damned good shape. I have great rolling cardio and have an especially strong upper body. I have a hard time believing that the physical differences are that significant, but apparently they are.

No comments: