Saturday, November 2, 2013

Multiple Open Mats

11/2

There is an open mat for women that's held at a nearby gym, so I checked that out today. It was mostly no gi, but fortunately I knew that going in. Five other women there, and only one of them hasn't come to our gym at least once. Friendly group, and after some chit chat we got into it for well over an hour. No gi was fun, although a couple of pro MMA girls gave me the business with guillotine chokes. I don't know why I act so flummoxed during no gi, b/c it's not THAT different. It's like my mind goes completely blank and I just sit there like an idjit. I was doing relatively well once I got on top, which was reassuring. I like doing no gi b/c it encourages me to scramble more, which is something that I find lacking in my game. Overall lots of good rolls. I need to figure out how I end up leaving my neck out though.

Drove straight over to my gym for the second open mat. Got a few rolls in with Ian and Jason. One roll with Kelly. The guys who aren't testing soon were pretty chatty, and the guys who are testing soon were focused on techniques. So I didn't end up getting that many rolls in, but I did help the guys who are testing by being a demo dummy. I like helping them out. Between the rolls and being a dummy I got choked quite a bit today and my neck is more tender than usual.

The life of a fighter. :p

No comments: