Friday, November 1, 2013

Backmount Escapes

11/1

Antone was there, which was great for me as we haven't been on the mat at the same time in a couple of weeks. Started off with flow rolls, then did back-mount escapes for the technique. One I hadn't seen before is if you are on all fours while they have hooks and seatbelt grip. Kick your left leg back to free the hook, then bring your left knee behind their right ankle. That motion alone may be enough to shake them off if they aren't low and super-tight to your back. If they do stay tight and on your back, grab their right shin (gi) with your left hand and their right tricep with your right hand. Let your shoulder go dead, then shrug hard to the right to shake them off. Hard to explain and hard to do, but effective if done correctly. Even if you don't get them all the way around with the shrug, you can keep working it slowly and at least get out of backmount.

Rolls with Antone, Manny, Dennis, Jason. I saw shooting stars when Antone got a bow and arrow especially tight. I knew it was tight but didn't realize it was that far along. He complimented me after the roll and said that I improving, which is always nice to hear. With both Manny and Dennis I was in the situation where I almost had their backs, but couldn't quite get there. I think they were both off of escapes and I started pretty low on their body and tried to work my way up. I had little success in stopping Jason from getting his deep and tight DLR hook. Overall the rolls felt good. I'm really liking the fact that I am controlling my opponent's limbs more naturally when coming up into side-control or half guard (usually from escapes).

No comments: