Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A KOTH I Actually Like

11/6

Took a couple of days off from training. No particular reason, other than it seemed like a good idea. Body felt good today, though I was sucking a fair amount of wind during the first part of positional sparring.

Today we went over half guard passes. I was doing fine on the techniques, except that I really had no idea what to do with my hands. I mean, I knew what to do, but it still felt wrong. I think the problem is that I get too many different principles of passing mixed up in my head and I freeze like a deer in the headlights.

After the technique we did something a little new with the positional sparring (King of the Hill). For five minutes, two guys are down, starting in seated guard. Fresh opponent off the wall tries to pass their guard for a minute. If pass/sweep occurs, players reset in same position for the remainder of the minute. No one can go for submissions. No closed guard and no stalling. Guy on the bottom doesn't have to sweep, he just has to keep the top guy from passing. After a minute, a fresh opponent off the wall and no breaks for the bottom guy. We cycled through with everyone taking a turn at the 5min of guard retention, and I was part of the last pair to be down. I did much better than I thought I would in both the passing and retention aspect. Usually the positional sparring that focuses on passes distresses me b/c I'm so awful at it. However, I think having the minute of guaranteed sparring helped me be more aggressive and led to more successes. It's funny how subtly changing the rules can affect performance.

No comments: