Monday, December 1, 2014

Sat & Sun

Fundamentals on Saturday consisted of side-control escapes. Small class of 5, including Rachael and a visiting blue. Not a lot of questions, and I felt like I prattled on rather excessively.

We had several drop-ins for the noon class, including pretty much the entire stable of the Inland NW's UFC fighters. One of them sat out the first round of rolling, and then proceeded to try to rip my arm off from various positions. An arm-bar submission was obtained near the end of the round, as I found that my stacking pressure wasn't sufficient to fend it off. 

A couple of other rolls, including one with Tyrone where I gently chastised him about leaving his arms dangling in my guard. I got an interesting Mir type submission from there but sadly can't remember exactly how it worked. 

Sunday advanced class had an odd number of people, so one person had to sit out each drilling and rolling round. I was looking forward to class, but was rushing to finish some tasking beforehand. I don't think my head was quite in it, as my drills didn't seem as productive as I would have liked. Started with the butterfly hook removal, then deep half sweeps where I got a good tip from Kelly on using the hip heist. Top side control transitions from cross-face, kesa gatame, N/S, kesa gatame, reverse kesa gatame. Jason W gave me a pointer but I couldn't understand what he wanted from me, even though he went over it a couple of times. 

Rolled with Kelly, Jason S., Jason W. and Shaun. 

During my roll with Kelly, he attempted a bolo. I stopped his far hip and focused on keeping my back on the mat. We fought for the shallow hook and I was able to hang with him for a bit until he got the angle and flipped me over. I was happy with being able to at least slow down the sweep and really make him work for it.

Jason S. worked lapel guard with success. Our roll was different than usual b/c we transitioned through more positions and I think I tried the inverted triangle from side-control with little success.

Jason W. mainly smashed me from top side-control. 

Shaun got to mount, worked an ezekiel which I escaped but I left an arm hanging out and was arm-barred for my trouble.

No comments: