Friday, December 5, 2014

Fri No Gi

The first rashguard that I've purchased in over 5yrs arrived last night, just in time for today's no gi class. I love the fit and feel, except that I'm not used to a tight collar and felt like I was being choked. Aside from that though, I love it.

Back is feeling better. A little tight, but didn't limit me too much until I was in bottom side-control. 

Technique of the day was sweeps from the 93 guard, one of my favorite. Elongate the leg to a knee-bar or take them over for a sweep, knee-bar, or move to side-control. If they try to knee cut, trap their cutting leg (R) with your L, step to the R with your R foot and use your R hand under their L knee to punch up while you pull their hips into you (assumption is that you have the underhook. If they hover, pull your bottom leg out and dump them into full guard and a potential back-take.

Last ditch effort if they get the underhook on the knee cut is to do the Telles roll into them and grab their inside knee with your inside hand, transitioning to their far hip to prevent a crucifix as you plow them over.

Rolls with Sarah (twice), Chris, Jordan and Jason S. I got a nice sweep on Jason, but otherwise I was in quite a bit of trouble. I had to hold out at the end for in arm-bar triangle combo that he was working. Chris had good top control and guard, and was giving me sweeps. Not sure how I feel about that. I worked Jordan over pretty good with multiple submissions. I admonished him at one point as he reached his arm back and under my leg to try to break open my guard. He did use a kimura grip from a bottom position to start an escape, but let go of it too soon.

First roll with Sarah was pretty back and forth. I was showing my back A LOT, way more than I should have. Sometimes she was able to capitalize, and got at least one sweep and pass out of it. In the second roll I didn't show my back as much, and had a good grip on the arm for an arm-bar but my legs were trapped.

Really enjoyed no gi for a change of pace, and am in love with the rashguard. Wish I would have got two while they were on sale. :(


No comments: